Melt in Your Mouth Slow CookerBrisket
4-6 lb brisket half
8 whole garlic cloves
3 whole onions
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp turmeric
Just a pinch of cayenne
1 tbsp cornstarch
1. Place half of chopped garlic, chopped onions and bay leaves in bottom of slow cooker.
2. Rinse brisket and pat dry. Sprinkle generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Brown the brisket in a skillet using oil. Once the brisket is browned place in slow cooker.
4. In a small bowl mix the spices, cornstarch and water. Pour into already warm skillet and stir and heat till bubbly over medium heat. With a spatula scrape all the brown bits from browning brisket from the bottom of the pan (These add extra flavor).
5. Pour contents of skillet over brisket in slow cooker.
6. Place the rest of garlic and onions on top of brisket. Cover and cook 8 to 10 hours. Brisket is done when fork tender. Most people like it tender but not so soft it falls apart. It should be firm enough to slice and tender enough to shred edges with a fork.
7. Remove brisket from cooker and place on a cutting board fat side up. Let cool about 20 minutes.
8. While waiting for brisket to cool. Strain sauce from slow cooker separating garlic and onions. Discard bay leaves.
9. Mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with liquid sauce and return to slow cooker.
10. Once the sauce is ready cut the fat cap off the brisket. Then cut the brisket in thin slices against the grain.
11. Return slices to slow cooker and spoon sauce over brisket. Cook another 30 to 45 mins, on high until sauce is bubbly and thickened. Serve brisket with sauce hot.